As dentists, we see the link between diabetes and oral health. The increased sugar swimming around in your saliva will lead to inflammation of the gingiva (gums), causing red, swollen and bleeding tissue.
Diabetes mellitus is a group of metabolic diseases that lead to high levels of blood glucose (hyperglycemia). This occurs when the body does not make any or enough insulin, or does not use insulin well.
There are two types of Diabetes: Type 1 diabetes is a chronic autoimmune disease, occurring in five to ten percent of all diabetes cases, in which the cells in the pancreas create little to no insulin. Type 2 diabetes, which is more prevalent, occurs in 85% to 90% or more of diabetes cases. It is one of the most common chronic diseases, characterized by decreased response to insulin, insufficient insulin production, or a combination of both.
Periodontal disease occurs in many patients with diabetes.
Common symptoms associated with gum disease include:
• Swollen or sensitive gums
• Bleeding gums
• Receding gums
• Bad breath or bad taste in the mouth
• Loose teeth
Diabetes patients are more susceptible to periodontal (gum) disease due to the higher glucose levels in saliva when blood sugar levels are not controlled. The plaque bacteria in your mouth thrive on glucose or sugar present, allowing the bacteria to build up and grow. This will leave you more susceptible to gum disease and tooth decay. They are also susceptible to candidiasis or thrush, which an infection is caused by fungus that overgrows in the mouth, and xerostomia (dry mouth) which can cause oral discomfort and lead to dental decay.
How do you prevent issues? The BIG FIVE!
• Brush two minutes two times a day with an ADA approved toothpaste
• Floss once a day
• Rinse with an antibacterial mouth rinse, preferably one that is alcohol free so it will not irritate the gingiva and cause oral dryness
• Chew sugarless gum when your toothbrush is unavailable to increase the amount of restorative saliva
• See your dental professional regularly for preventive visits to evaluate your oral tissues
If it has been a while since you last came into our office to see us, and you are worried that you might have gingivitis, please schedule an appointment today. You can reach our office by calling (847) 677-1101 or by simply clicking the "Find Out More" button! We are here for you!
We are thrilled to announce that we have added another layer of safety protection to our practice: a hypochlorous acid fogger.
We are so excited to be back with you now! The most difficult part of this journey is that it kept us away from serving you and your dental needs. You may see some changes when it is time for your next appointment. We made these changes to help protect our patients, our families and ourselves. One of the many different "looks" will be Margaret and I are now sporting face shields and different style masks.
According to the State of Illinois and the Village of Lincolnwood, face coverings (masks or scarves) are required when entering any business. We will ask you to wear your mask upon entry to the office.
• We will communicate with you before your appointment to ask some screening questions. You will be receiving an email with a link to a form to fill out. It will automatically and safely be sent to our office. Here is the link: https://us.patientriver.com/donigerdental You’ll be asked those same questions again when you are in the office.
• We have hand sanitizer that we will ask you to use when you enter the office. We will have disposable gloves available to you, as well.
• You may notice our waiting room will no longer offer magazines, children’s toys and other items, since those items are difficult to clean and disinfect. Our signature chocolate will also be missing for a while.
• Appointments will be managed to allow for social distancing between patients. We plan to have you let us know when you are in our parking lot. Again, since we both may be back treating a patient, we will call you once we are able to get to the phone. Once the office is clear of the previous patient, we will let you know it is time for you to come up to see us! As per CDC guidelines, we will not be allowing anyone in our reception area without an appointment. Masks will be required for entry into the building, as per State of Illinois and Village of Lincolnwood guidelines.
• We will be allowing greater time between patients to reduce waiting times for you, therefore our appointments will be have more time between procedures to allow for our new engineering changes.
We thank you for your continued trust and confidence and look forward to seeing everyone soon!
Please feel free to contact us either through our website, via email (email@example.com), via our Facebook page messenger, or simply leave a voice message at (847) 677-1101. If you need us, we will be available to you for telemedicine, via What's App, Facebook Messenger, Skype and Zoom,
Thank you for your understanding and patience during this unprecedented time. We will get through this together! Stay safe, stay healthy!
We have always followed the utmost in infection control for the safety of both you, our patients, and ourselves. We are continually upgrading our infection control procedures to ensure everyone's safety.
Please watch our Facebook page for updates and information about our new infection control systems!
For those of you who are on dental benefit, the end of your benefit year is upon us. In less than two months, the money set aside for your dental care will be taken away. Once these funds are gone, you will not be able to access 2020 allowance benefits. A new benefit year will start with the basic amount in your plan. Do you have any dental issues you have been waiting on? Now is the perfect time to schedule! Don’t leave your dental dollars behind. Give us a call!
We have created a virtual tour of the office for those who are interested in joining our practice but COVID may be keeping you away. It is always nice to see where you are going! Check it out on Google Earth!
Our most important jobs right now are to stay home, stay safe and stay healthy. We are not only protecting ourselves but people around us. With social distancing in full effect, it is more important than ever to practice good oral hygiene and prevent cavities. Remind your family about brushing for two minutes two times a day and flossing once every day. Using an antibacterial mouthwash is also a good precaution.
Want to disinfect your toothbrush? You can soak it in an antibacterial mouthwash for 30 seconds. For a homemade alternative, mix 2 teaspoons of baking soda in a cup of water.. Don't forget to change your toothbrush every three months, especially during these times of staying at home.
Our practice has been honored again as one of the Top Dentists in the Chicagoland area for 2020!
Dr. Sheri was honored as the Lincolnwood Madeline Grant Volunteer of the Year for 2020. She has over thirty years of volunteering for the Village and beyond.
Our practice was spotlighted in the Village of Lincolnwood Business Connections Newsletter for the March/April issue (yes, at the begining of the pandemic, but we are still excited to be there!)
Dr. Sheri B. Doniger believes in personalized optimal stress free dental care.
We care for patients one at a time. We focus on the individual patient.
We listen to your dental concerns and needs, then will offer solutions for your oral care.
Early morning and Saturday appointment available
Conservative approaches to oral care
Uncompromised patient safety
Most dental benefits accepted
Financing plans available
Woman owned business
New patients are welcome
Professional quality dental care is a necessity for everyone, although being able to achieve it has not always been within reach, especially for those without dental benefit. Our Dental Priority Platinum solves that problem! We have a variety of plans, starting with two preventive visits a year, inclucing oral examinations, four bitewing radiographs, or full mouth radiograph as necessary, and two fluoride varnish treatments, all at a 25% savings to you and your family. Major and cosmetic dental treatments are 18% off, with no deductible or annual maximum. Each family member has different needs, so we offer different plans. We are unable to combine these plans if you have a current dental benefit..
We thank you for your trust and confidence and look forward to caring for your dental needs. Please call or email to schedule an appointment. Let us know if you have any dental concerns and how you feel about your smile. We will contact you to schedule an appointment. We are available virtually to discuss your dental needs prior to your first appointment. We are here for you!
4433 W. Touhy, Suite 440, Lincolnwood, IL 60712, us
08:00 am – 01:00 pm
We look forward to hearing from you. Please leave a message if we do not answer your call. We may be treating another patient. If we are not in the office, we monitor our messages and email. We will get back to you as soon as possible.